Lincoln Park Conservancy





PROJECTS

Lincoln Park Conservancy

PAST PROJECTS

SHAKESPEARE MONUMENT

The William Shakespeare Monument is one of the most beloved sculptures in Lincoln Park today. The bronze figure, portrayed in authentic Elizabethan period clothing and seated casually on a chair, was designed by local sculptor William Ordway Partridge (1861-1930).

Chicago financier Samuel Johnston (d. 1886) designated funds in his will to create a memorial to William Shakespeare in Lincoln Park. Partridge displayed his model of the monument at the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. After casting the bronze in Paris, it was shipped to Chicago and installed in its current location in Lincoln Park. The dedication ceremony took place on April 23, 1894.

ABOUT THE LPC RESTORATION

Monument Restoration Status: Completed 1989

Adopt-A-Monument Donors: The Edelstein Foundation and the Pritzker Foundation

Final Project Cost: $43,000

Restoration Project Credits: The Chicago Park District, the Lincoln Park Conservancy, Nicholas F. Veloz of Proper Care Restoration, Bevel Granite Company.

Rededication Ceremony: October 17, 1989

PLAN A VISIT

Location: In Lincoln Park at Belden and Lincoln Park West. View Map

Parking: Free street parking may be available on Stockton Drive, Lincoln Park West or adjacent neighborhood streets between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Docent Tours: In Development. Please contact the Lincoln Park Conservancy office at (773) 883-PARK.

For more information on the William Shakespeare Monument and sculptor William Ordway Partridge visit: www.cpdit01.com/resources/planning-and-development.sculptures/?action=home.



The Bard after restoration
Shakespeare Rededication Ceremony
Nicholas Veloz of Proper Care restores the Shakespeare statue, September 1989.
Bevel Granite installs donor plaque at monument base



© 2011 Copyright: Lincoln Park Conservancy | Site maintained and hosted by Webzone Marketing.