LINCOLN MONUMENT AND GARDENS
The Standing Lincoln sculpture is considered the most important sculpture of Abraham Lincoln from the nineteenth century. The 12-foot bronze figure standing before his Chair of State was designed on commission by Irish sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848-1907) who became one of the foremost sculptors of his time. The sculpture is mounted on a semicircular exedra designed by architect Stanford White.
Chicago lumber merchant Eli Bates (1806-1881) designated funds in his will to create the statue, which was to be located in Mr. Lincoln's namesake Lincoln Park. The statue was dedicated on October 22, 1887. Present at the dedication were a trustee of the Eli Bates estate, Abraham Lincoln II, the president's grandson, and a crowd of 10,000 people.
ABOUT THE LPC RESTORATION
- Restoration of "Standing Lincoln" sculpture and granite seat-wall with stairs surrounding the sculpture, and plaza pavement at the base of the monument.
- Addition of Renaissance-designed formal garden consisting of six geometric planting beds totaling 8,200 s.f.
- Addition of paving stone walks on the east and west sides of the garden.
- New trees forming an allee on either side of the stone walks to frame the garden.
- Addition of ornamental lighting, bollards, and period benches around the garden.
Monument Restoration Status: Completed 1989
Adopt-A-Monument Donor: Sara Lee Corporation in commemoration of the company's 50th anniversary.
Garden Donor: Credit Agricole in commemoration of the company's 10th anniversary in Chicago.
Additional Garden Donations by: Chicago Park District (new garden walkways, sod and trees); the Driehaus Foundation (three year's of garden maintenance), and Friends of the Garden.
Final Project Cost: $147,000
Restoration Project Credits: The Chicago Park District, Michael Mark, Senior Landscape Designer of the Chicago Park District, Lincoln Park Conservancy, Buss Landscaping, Rudnick Contracting (pavers), Downstate Restoration (granite restoration).
Rededication Ceremony: July 13, 1989 in honor of the Bicentennial of the French Revolution.
- Designated a Chicago Historic Landmark in 2001.
- American Society of Landscape Architects Illinois Chapter Public Recognition Award 1990.
- Illinois Landscape Contractors Association 1992 Gold Award for Commerical Landscape Construction.
Note: Although not part of the original garden construction, the Lincoln Park Conservancy added an irrigation system in 1992 at a cost of $30,000.
Planners in front of the Lincoln Monument meet to design 8,200 s.f. of new garden.
July 13, 1989 rededication ceremony to celebrate a successful restoration of the monument and formal gardens.
PLAN A VISIT
Location: In Lincoln Park at North Avenue and Dearborn Parkway.
Parking: Free street parking may be available on adjacent neighborhood streets between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Metered parking available nearby on North Avenue and Clark Streets.
Docent Tours: In Development. Please contact the Lincoln Park Conservancy office at (773) 883-PARK.
For more information on Standing Lincoln and sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens visit: www.cpdit01.com/resources/planning-and-development.sculptures/?action=home.