Conservatory & Gardens Facts

2391 N. Stockton Drive, Chicago, IL 60614

Plan a Visit

Details: Joseph Silsbee designed all the exhibit houses while M.E. Bell assisted Silsbee and designed the greenhouses and horse stables. The conservatory was built in stages. The Palm House was the first to open to the public in 1892. The other exhibit houses (Fern, Orchid, Show) were completed between 1892 and 1895.

In the 1890s, Grandmother’s Garden was added across the street from the Formal Garden between what is now Stockton Drive and Lincoln Park West. In 1893, the William Shakespeare monument was added as a centerpiece to this Old English-style perennial garden.

In 1955 the conservatory’s beautiful glass entry was replaced with a stone foyer to provide public restrooms for the facility and surrounding area.

Despite changes, both large and small, that occurred over the decades, the conservatory still maintains its historic charm and essence.

Restoration Status: Master Plan completed by the Lincoln Park Conservancy.

Owned and Managed By: The Chicago Park District

Programmed By: The Lincoln Park Conservancy

Original Landscape Architects: Joseph Lyman Silsbee and M.E. Bell